Choosing the right cat food for your cat requires you to weigh up many considerations, from nutritional value to taste. If you’ve opted for wet cat food for your feline’s diet, you will certainly be spoiled by choice. There are a seemingly endless number of wet cat food products on the market, each claiming to be the absolute best one for your cat. So how do you wade through the marketing claims to choose one that’s genuinely an ideal fit for your cat?
We’ve done the hard work by comparing dozens of different options. We made sure to take into account different preferences as well as health needs, so you’ll be able to pick the one that best matches what you’re looking for.
We’ve identified the Purina Fancy Feast Classic Pate Wet Cat Food Collection as the perfect (or should we say, purrfect?) pick for anyone after a wet cat food that is not only nutritionally-sound and tasty, but is also raved about by thousands of customers. If you’re ready to learn more about this product and our other expert picks, take a read of our research-based guide below.
The 5 Top-Rated Wet Cat Foods
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Wet Cat Food Overall: Purina Fancy Feast Classic Pate Wet Cat Food Collection
If only the best of the best will do for your cat, Purina Fancy Feast Classic Pate Wet Cat Food Collection is our top recommendation. After all, it’s hard to look past the fact that 77% of cat owners who tried it rated it 5 stars. A further 12% rated it 4 stars, so clearly the manufacturers are doing something right!
A huge draw card is that all of the formulas in this range are grain free and protein-rich. These attributes provide you with the peace of mind that your cat will get a nutritionally-packed meal each and every time. Many cat experts advise cats to eat grain free cat food as it is most similar to how a cat would eat in the wild. Moreover, grain free cat food is a must if your cat has any sensitivities or allergies to grains.
Another reason we’re big fans of this product is its refined texture. We all know that cats can be quite fussy when it comes to food texture, but they shouldn’t have a problem chowing down this meal given its ultra smooth, pate texture.
So how does this product rate in terms of taste? Well, the three flavor varieties which come in this multi-pack are all marinated with real meat, so the taste is sure to please. Beef feast, turkey feast, and chicken feast are included, so your cat will no doubt look forward to every meal.
Purina Fancy Feast Classic Pate Collection Feast Adult Canned Wet Cat Food Variety Packs Key Features:
- 24 x 3 oz. cans
- 3 flavor varieties: Beef feast, turkey feast, and chicken feast
- Grain free and protein-rich
- Smooth pate texture
- Crafted in the USA
Best Wet Cat Food for Seniors: Hartz Lickable Wet Cat Treats for Senior Cats
Is your older cat an unapologetic connoisseur when it comes to their daily meals? As you may have already discovered, many wet cat foods for senior cats aren’t very appetizing. They can lack taste and the texture can be a bit off off.
This isn’t the case with Hartz Lickable Wet Cat Treats for Senior Cats, however. Your cat won’t be able to get enough of the tantalizing blend of tender, real chicken, and juicy seafood. The texture is also wet enough that your cat will be able to easily lap up each meal without the sogginess that plagues many options.
Older cats have particularly dietary needs they need accounted for in their diet. Hartz’ product ensures these are all taken care of, by providing a 100% nutritionally complete meal that has the right levels of vitamins E and B for your older cat to stay healthy and happy. Cat owners will also appreciate the pack’s smart pouch design, which makes for easy serving and storing.
Hartz Lickable Wet Cat Treats for Senior Cats Key Features:
- Made specially for cats aged 10+
- 100% nutritionally complete
- Tuna and chicken blend
- Rich with vitamins E and B
- Easy to serve and store pouches
Best Budget Wet Cat Food: Meow Mix Simple Servings Wet Cat Food
Meow Mix Simple Servings Wet Cat Food is one of those rare budget buys that has all the features of more expensive wet cat foods without the hefty price tag. This seafood variety pack comes with a tempting range of flavors, namely, 8 x Tuna & Salmon, 8 x Tuna, Shrimp & Whitefish, and 8 x Tuna & Ocean Whitefish. Unlike many cheaper options that use fillers, you’ll find only real seafood used in each mix.
Another nice-to-have feature we love is that each meal comes in a mess-free cup. Yes, that means with Meow Mix’s wet food, you won’t need to go through the pain of trying to scrape every last morsel up. As the food comes out in one go, the innovative package design means that you can also keep food wastage to a minimum.
Meow Mix Simple Servings Wet Cat Food Key Features:
- 3 types of seafood combinations
- No fillers or meat by-products
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition
- Single-serve, mess-free portions
- Cost-effective price
Best Kitten Wet Cat Food: Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Kitten Food
Are you looking for a wet food option that’s packed with real meat? If you’ve already been on the hunt, you’ll know that it’s surprisingly hard to find meals that use real meat and no fillers. Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Kitten Food guarantees both for your growing kitten.
The grain free formula is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients, so you can feel confident that you’ll be feeding your kitten the food they need to get the best start in life. Many experts think this is a top wet food for kittens too. As you see in the Amazon reviews, many cat owners became fans of this product after receiving a recommendation to buy it from their vet. See if it lives up to the hype by serving your kitty a plate.
Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Kitten Food Key Features:
- Specially formulated to address the nutritional needs of kittens
- 0% fillers
- Real meat is the #1 ingredient
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients
- High-protein formula
Best Grain Free Wet Cat Food: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Grain Free Wet Cat Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Grain Free Wet Cat Food is enhanced with vitamins and minerals to make sure your cat is getting all the best nutrients, without any of the filler grains that can sometimes clog down a cat food. This is a high-protein food that will help your cat stay fuller faster, so he’s meowing for food less, which we think you’re sure to appreciate, too.
This listing provides your cat with twenty-four, three ounce cans of food so you can plan to run to the store fewer times a month and the promise from Blue Buffalo of no wheat or by-products, your cat is getting tasty foods that are excellent for him, too.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Grain Free Wet Cat Food Key Features:
- Free of any grains
- Real chicken and turkey; no by-products
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
Who Should Buy Wet Cat Food
Anyone with a feline in their life can choose to buy wet cat food to feed them. You should buy it if you’re looking for an alternative to dry cat food, or if you wish to give your cat a combination of both wet and dry meals. You should also buy it if you’d like to take advantage of the benefits associated with this kind of cat food (which we discuss further below).
Ultimately, it’s up to you and your vet decide whether wet cat food is the right choice for your cat. There are, in fact, many different features you can consider when choosing cat food. If you’d like to learn more about this, be sure to take a read of our reviews of the best raw cat foods and the best organic cat foods.
Important Features to Consider
As we mentioned above, it’s vital that you make an informed choice when selecting a wet cat food for your feline. It’s easy to assume that there’s little difference between products. However, there are in fact marked differences that are evident product to product. To assist you with comparing different products, keep the following features in mind:
- Flavor. The flavor of a given wet cat food will play a considerable role in whether or not the meal is well received by your cat. While you won’t be able to taste test the meal yourself, look for appetizing flavor combinations that you can safely bet your cat will munch up. Wet cat food is meat, poultry, or seafood based, so if you know they have a preference for one over the other, you may want to opt for that flavor at first. If your cat is open to variety, consider choosing a multi-pack that comes with a range of flavor combinations.
- Nutritional value. While flavor is certainly a crucial consideration, it’s important not to be tempted to buy a certain product just because it sounds like it will be delicious. You should also take a careful look at the ingredients to determine whether it will also provide your cat the nutritional support they need. Look if a product contains real meat, is free from fillers, and is packed with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
- The type of cat it’s made for. While you can choose a wet cat food product that is suitable for most cats, it’s well worth checking if there’s an option that is made with the needs of your cat in mind. For example, there are plenty of products that specifically target health concerns, such as sensitive stomachs and hairballs. There are also products that cater for the health needs of cats of different ages, namely, kittens and mature cats. If you’re looking for an easy way to boost your kitten or mature cat’s health, opt for an age-appropriate wet food product.
- Portion size. Portion sizes vary quite considerably between brands. As such, you’ll have to pay extra attention to how much each portion packs in. If your cat doesn’t eat too much, it could be a good idea to select products with smaller portion sizes to prevent any food from going to waste. On the other hand, if your cat is a big eater, products with more generous servings may be the way to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much wet cat food should you feed a cat?
In general, feeding your cat wet food every day is completely fine. In terms of portion size, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. It’s highly advisable to ask your veterinarian for their expert opinion on how much wet food you should feed your cat. They will take into account factors such as their size, age, weight, how much exercise they get, and any other health considerations that may impact their diet.
While the single portions of wet cat food you buy will be suitable for many cats, assuming that they will be right for your cat is not recommended. You could consequently over or underfeed your cat, so it’s always wise to err on the side of caution.
Is wet food better than dry food for cats?
There is no hard and fast answer for whether wet or dry food is better for cats. Expert opinion is divided, which is why it’s impossible to apply a blanket recommendation. There are advantages and disadvantages of both kinds of food, so it is up to you and your vet to determine which is best for your cat. Below, we’ve listed some general advantages and disadvantages of both kinds to consider:
Advantages of wet food:
- Higher moisture content
- More similar to food cats would eat in the wild
- Many cats find the taste more palatable
Advantages of dry food:
- Easier to serve
- Arguably better for cats’ teeth
- Can be kept out longer than dry cat food
Disadvantages of wet food:
- Tends to be more expensive than dry varieties
- Won’t assist with oral health
- Cannot be left out for long periods of time
Disadvantages of dry food:
- Cats who are fed dry food only are more prone to obesity and diabetes than those fed wet food only
- Greater vigilance is needed to ensure your cat won’t become dehydrated
- Tends to be higher in carbs and lower in protein
Is it okay to leave cat food out all day?
Whether or not it is okay to leave cat food out all day depends on whether it’s wet or dry. Generally speaking, dry cat food can be left out all day. As it tends to oxidize after 48 hours, this should be the absolute maximum it is kept out for.
Wet can food should not be left out all day. There is no consensus from experts about the amount of time wet food can be left out for, but they tend to recommend anywhere from 1 to 4 hours maximum. Wet food oxidizes much faster than dry food, so it is more prone to developing bacteria when left out. How long you can leave it safely out will depend on such factors as the temperature.
That all being said, it’s a good idea to feed your cat the right portions so there is minimal left over food in the first place.
Can you refrigerate wet cat food?
Most opened cans or packets of wet cat food can be refrigerated. It’s generally advised that you cover the top to help the food stay as fresh as possible. You will be able to store opened wet cat food in the fridge for around 3 to 5 days. If available, you should follow any instructions provided by the manufacturer regarding refrigeration.
Unopened cat food should usually be stored in the pantry. That is, unless you buy refrigerated wet cat food (that is, wet cat food that was refrigerated prior to purchase). In that case, you should ensure you refrigerate it ASAP.
Other Wet Cat Foods We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other wet cat foods. Even though they didn’t make our 5 wet cat foods list, they’re still excellent options for your cat. We’ve included all of the vital information you need to make an informed choice below.
- Wet Cat Food for Hairball Control
- Cat Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Grain Free Wet Cat Food
- High Protein Wet Cat Food
Wet Cat Food for Hairball Control
Royal Canin Hairball Care Thin Slices in Gravy is specially formulated to control hairball development. The exclusive blend of fibers and highly digestible proteins are balanced with fats and carbohydrates to regulate healthy digestion.
- 6 can pack
- Exclusive blend of dietary fibers
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
With an average rating of 4.4 stars out of 5, this 24 can pack of wet cat food for hairball control has many loyal fans. Three key benefits stand out: the natural fiber helps reduce hairballs, the minerals support urinary system health, and the vitamin e, omega-3s and omega-6s promote skin and fur health.
- Made with natural ingredients
- 24 can pack
- Made in the USA
Your cat’s hairball problems will be but a distant memory after you start feeding them these delicious gravy meals. Each package includes 12 easy-to-use pouches that are filled with 85g of hairball-reducing formula.
- 12 x 85g pouches
- Tasty gravy taste
- Designed for cats with hairball problems
Wet Cat Food for Sensitive Stomachs
As far as high-quality wet cat foods for cats with sensitive stomachs go, it’s hard to beat Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach, Grain Free Wet Cat Food. The formula features a selection of ingredients that will help your cat’s sensitive tummy, such as real duck, essential vitamins, minerals, taurine, and an amino acid.
- Ingredients include real duck and essential vitamins and minerals
- 24 x 3 oz. pull-top can pack
This wet cat food for cats with sensitive stomach from Halo is certainly bursting with “angelic” ingredients. It’s made with whole rabbit, and is free of many unsavory ingredients found in many cat foods such as artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- Made with whole rabbit
- No “meat meal” used
- No artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or GMO vegetables
If you’re looking for a scrumptious stomach-friendly wet cat food, your cat will devour this protein-rich pack that features three cans of Arctic Char Fish and three cans of Duck Entree. An extra nice touch is that you’ll get a free catnip toy with every purchase!
- 6 cans with two flavor varieties
- No corn, wheat, or soy
- No artificial colors or flavors or by-product meal
While this option is on the pricier end, many customers say the price is “worth it” considering the benefits and excellent quality of ingredients offered. The highly digestible proteins assist in nutrient absorption, while the vitamins and minerals work to boost your cat’s overall health.
- Features highly digestible proteins
- Balanced blend of vitamins and minerals
- 4.4 out of 5 rating
Grain Free Wet Cat Food
If you can look past the gorgeous packaging, you’ll see that there’s a lot more to Tiki Cat’s grain free wet cat food range that’s appealing to cat owners. The easy-to-digest meals are low in carbs but high in moisture content, all the while being completely grain free.
- Low carb
- High moisture content
- 12 x 3 oz. cans
According to Amazon reviews, Natural Balance Platefulls Grain Free Wet Cat Food has helped all kinds of cats, from fussy kittens to older cats with constipation. The reviewers point out just how quickly their cats took to the food, so you may just have luck with this option if your cat is known to turn their nose up at any changes to their diet.
- 7 flavor combinations
- Free of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
- 8% protein
Like Tiki Cat’s product, there’s more than meets the eye than this product’s adorable packaging. Each pouch is filled with a scrumptious mix of ingredients that are not only free from grains, but also gluten, carrageenan, MSG, artificial flavors and colors, and BPA. If you’re looking to support a small business with your purchase, you’ll also be interested to learn that this product is made by a family-run company.
- 12 flavors to choose from
- Free of grains, gluten, carrageenan, MSG, artificial flavors and colors, and BPA
- Pack of 12 x 3 oz. pouches
Cost: $15 (prices vary slightly according to flavor)
This is another great grain free wet cat food from Weruva. We love that they point out that with this product, “What you see is what you get.” Indeed, the company is transparent what goes into each can, namely, ingredients which come together to provide your cat with a 100% complete and balanced diet. It certainly brings reassurance that the product is produced in human food facilities under the strictest B. R. C. Global Standards for Foods.
- 82% moisture content
- Pack of 8 x 5. 5 oz. cans
- Produced in human food facilities under strict standards
As the name may give away, AvoDerm Natural Tuna Wet Canned Cat Food has one particularly unique ingredient in its tuna and crab formula: avocados. As they explain, avocados are a natural source of nearly 20 vitamins and minerals, fatty acids, and antioxidants. Needless to say, they are also super tasty too, making this one of the more gourmet food options for your cat.
- Case of 24 x 3 oz. cans
- Ingredients include California avocado
- Made in the USA
One thing you’re bound to notice when you look at a serving of Reveal Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food is just how appetizing it looks. That’s because each mix contains 100% natural ingredients, with only a limited number of ingredients used.
- 7 flavor options
- Small number of ingredients
- Ethically & sustainable sourced
There are few wet cat food brands that can boast that 95% of their ingredients are meat. But that’s precisely what Wellness Core 95% Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food offers. Your cat will love trying their full range, which includes 95% chicken, beef and chicken, chicken and salmon, and turkey varieties.
- 95% meat
- Grain-free, no wheat, corn, or soy fillers
- No artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
These 2.8 ounce pouches of grain free cat food cover all the bases in terms of nutrition. Suitable for cats of all life stages, these real chicken based meals are high in protein as well as in moisture.
- 2.8 oz. pouches
- Silky texture
- High protein
High Protein Wet Cat Food
“Snap. Peel. Serve” In those three simple steps, your cat will be able to obtain all the benefits of this high protein meal. You’ll be impressed by the high-quality ingredients list, which in ascending order includes chicken, chicken liver, pork broth, chicken broth, chicken heart, and beef.
- 24 x 2.6 oz. twin-pack trays
- Real chicken; no chicken by-product
- Free from artificial flavors and preservatives
Featuring a high-protein, real chicken recipe in a silky pate texture, Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Mature Pate Wet Cat Food simultaneously supports healthy muscle growth and cognitive development.
- 24 x 5.5 oz. cans
- Free from by-products
- Pate texture
“Dinner Winner,” “Cat Approved,” and “Problem Solved!!!” are just some of the review headlines you’ll read if you take a glance at the glowing Amazon reviews of this winning product. Customers especially love that its ingredients are high protein and full of real meat, and that their cats adore the taste.
- #1 ingredient is turkey
- Grain-free recipe
- 100% complete and balanced
Cat owners will appreciate the effort that Instinct has made to provide them with a high-end protein rich wet cat food. It’s notable that 95% of the protein found in each can is 95 from chicken, turkey, and liver and that the #1 ingredient is responsibly-sourced cage free chicken.
- 95% of the protein is from chicken, turkey, and liver
- Made in the USA
Take a look at the six flavor offerings with Nulo’s high protein cat food range and you’ll notice something quite remarkable; the minimal number of ingredients in each pack. For example, the chicken flavor only has two, while the sardine and beef only has four. This is reassuring for any cat parents looking for meals that are packed only with the essentials, and nothing else.
- 24 x 2.8 oz. pouches
- 6 flavors to choose from
- Features animal-based protein and amino acids