If somebody told you that a single product could help pets with all kinds of problems from skin irritation to pain to anxiety, you’d probably think they were talking nonsense, but CBD for pets delivers on these promises. Derived from the cannabis plant but completely non-psychoactive, CBD reacts with the endocannabinoid system that exists in almost all animals (only insects appear to lack it) to produce a range of positive effects, such as calming, pain relief, and exterior healing when used topically.
We reviewed dozens of different types of CBD for pets to identify the best of the best, comparing various factors, such as strength, formulation, overall quality, and average customer reviews.
After careful consideration, we chose CBD FX Pet CBD Oil as our top pick. CBD oil tends to be the most versatile choice and is easy to adjust the dosage for pets of different sizes. This is a high quality CBD oil you can trust that’s rich in the active ingredients of CBD, such as cannabinoids and terpenes.
The 5 Top-Rated CBD for Pets
*Ratings are current at the time of publication and can change
Best CBD for Pets Overall: CBD FX Pet CBD Oil
If you want a quality multipurpose CBD product, CBD oil is the way to go, and our favorite is CBD FX Pet CBD Oil. We’re looking at the 300 mg option, which gives you 10 mg of CBD per ml, which is ideal for medium dogs. However, you can also buy a weaker and a stronger option from the same brand, which are suitable for cats and small dogs, and large dogs, respectively. This CBD oil is diluted in a coconut oil carrier, which has it’s own health benefits and is perfectly safe for pets.
The CBD contained in this product is CO2 extracted, which gives you a safe and pure CBD that’s rich in its natural terpenes and cannabinoids. It’s highly bioavailable, so it’s easily absorbed into your pet’s bloodstream where it can do the work. Users state that it works well for all kinds of anxiety, pain relief, arthritis, appetite stimulation, and more. It costs around $45 for 30 ml, which is an average price for quality CBD oil of this strength.
CBD FX Pet CBD Oil Key Features:
- 300 mg strength, which equals 10 mg per ml
- Easy to adjust the dosage as required
- Also rich in fatty acids and amino acids
Best CBD Treats for Pets: Joy Organics CBD Dog Treats
Tasty beef flavor treats containing 2 mg of CBD a piece.
For some pet owners, CBD treats are less of a hassle to administer than oil. Our top CBD treats for pets are Joy Organics CBD Dog Treats. They’re flavored with beef, making them a palatable choice for dogs who’ll never know they’re getting their “medicine” in the form of a tasty treat. The full pack of treats contains 60 mg of CBD and with 30 treats in a pack, that works out at 2 mg per treat. This is a good dosage for small dogs, but you may end up needing to feed large dogs a lot of these treats for a noticeable effect, which can be costly. Though marketed as dog treats, there’s no reason why you can’t feed them to cats of an average weight (around 10 lbs), though they’re a little too strong for small cats.
These treats are made using Joy Organics’ special phytocannabinoid-rich hemp extract, which is easily absorbed by pets and works quickly. This CBD extract is in the form of a water-soluble powder, which improves absorption even further. This pack of 30 dog treats costs around $35.
Joy Organics CBD Dog Treats Key Features:
- Made using broad spectrum CBD
- Contains premium grade ingredients
- CBD absorbs into the bloodstream quickly for fast-acting effects
Best Budget CBD for Pets: Charlotte’s Web Calming Chews for Dogs
These inexpensive treats are a great intro into the world of CBD for pets.
Charlotte’s Web Calming Chews for Dogs are a great primer into CBD for pets without needing to spend too much. They’re primarily designed for calming and anxiety relief but it follows they may offer some pain relief, too. Despite their affordable price these treats are surprisingly potent. Each treat contains 5 mg of broad spectrum hemp extract, of which at least 2.5 mg is naturally occurring phytocannabinoids, including CBD. They also contain a range of other naturally calming ingredients: Valerian root, passion flower extract, and chamomile.
Thanks to their chicken flavor, these treats are highly palatable and dogs are unlikely to pass them up. They can really help anxious dogs, with plenty of users singing their praises and talking about how calmer their dogs are after eating these treats. A pack of 30 treats costs $20, which is very reasonably considering their quality ingredients.
Charlotte’s Web Calming Chews for Dogs Key Features:
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes, just adjust the dosage accordingly
- Made using hemp grown in the USA
- Improves calm both out and about and at home
Best Topical CBD for Pets: CBD Living Dog Nose & Paw Salve
A soothing salve to heal dry and cracked skin, irritation, and hot spots.
Topical CBD treatments are those used externally on your pet, such as the CBD Living Dog Nose & Paw Salve, which is our favorite topical CBD for pets. The combination of broad spectrum CBD oil, neem oil, and omega 3 fatty acids penetrate the skin effectively, providing support from within, while a protective and moisturizing barrier remains on the surface of the skin. Its primary use is for dry and cracked paws and noses, but it can tackle a range of paw problems, sunburned noses, and general relief for irritated skin. In addition to moisturizing and helping with faster healing, the CBD is also likely to offer some topical pain relief.
The Patented Skin Delivery System offers increased absorption and bioavailabilty so that this salve performs as well as possible. Although this option is for dogs only, the same company offers a noise and paw salve for cats, so your feline friends won’t be left out. A 2 oz pot costs $20 but a little goes a long way.
CBD Living Dog Nose & Paw Salve Key Features:
- Contains 100 mg of broad spectrum CBD in the whole container
- Formula is vegan and cruelty free
- Also useful for helping to heal hot spots
Best CBD Capsules for Pets: CBD Living Pet Capsules Extra Strength
CBD oil contained inside capsules for easier dosing.
If you’d like to give your pet CBD oil but are worried about getting the dosage right, CBD capsules do the hard work for you, avoiding any dosing errors. CBD Living Pet Capsules Extra Strength contain 25 mg of CBD oil each, which is on the strong side, so they’re ideal for large dogs or smaller dogs who need a stronger dosage, though we’d recommend building up over time. These full spectrum CBD capsules are highly effective and produced with nanotechnology to make them easily absorbable and bioavailable.
These capsules also contain hemp seed oil as a carrier, which is rich in omega acids vitamins, minerals, and fiber, so it’s good for your dog all round. The extra strength formula is perfect for large dogs who are suffering from arthritic joint pain, or severe anxiety. The CBD in the capsules is completely THC-free, so you don’t need to worry about any unwanted effects. A pack of 30 capsules costs $50.
CBD Living Pet Capsules Extra Strength Key Features:
- Self-emulsifying formula increases absorption
- Gel capsules don’t contain animal gelatin
- Error-free dosing
Who Should Buy CBD for Pets
People buy CBD for pets for a variety of reasons. One of the most common is for pain relief, often from arthritis, but you can use CBD for general pain relief, too (though if you don’t know why your pet is hurting, a trip to the vet is warranted first). You might also want to try CBD for your pet due to anxiety. This might be general anxiety, separation anxiety, or phobias, such as loud noises. CBD has natural calming properties, so many pet parents find it’s helpful for their pet’s anxiety.
Important Features to Consider
CBD for pets should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a CBD for your pet:
- Type of CBD product. First of all, decide what type of CBD product you want to give your pet. The most common types are CBD oil, CBD treats, CBD capsules, and topical CBD products. CBD oil is the most versatile and makes it easy to adjust the dose so it’s right for your pet. CBD capsules are great of you want the benefits of CBD oil but without the possible error of getting the dosage wrong, though this means you can’t adjust the dose as easily. CBD treats are great for occasional use or if your dog only needs low dose CBD but can work out quite costly otherwise. Topical CBD treatments work well for hot spots, irritated skin, and other external ailments.
- Strength. We’ll talk more about dosage later, but it’s important to choose the right strength of CBD products for the size of your pet. For items such as treats, you’ll usually be told the amount of CBD contained in one treat and in the package overall. With CBD oil, the amount of CBD in the whole bottle is listed, and the amount per ml may or may not be included. You can, however, work out the amount of CBD per ml but dividing the total amount of CBD in the bottle by the number of ml.
- Reason for use. Some CBD for pets is designed for specific uses. For instance, some CBD treats are marketed as calming treats, for anxiety, and others are advertised as helping with joint pain. These types of products often contain other ingredients to boost calming or pain relief, but any CBD has more or less the same effect.
- Ease of administering. Choose a CBD product that will be easy to give to your pet. If using CBD oil, you may need to squirt it straight into your dog’s mouth, which can be a challenge with some dogs. You have the option to mix it with food, but if your dog doesn’t eat up their whole meal, some will be wasted and you won’t know how much they consumed. CBD treats are generally easy to administer, though you may have problems if your dog is a picky eater.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much CBD should I give my pet?
You’ll need to work out the correct CBD dosage based on your pet’s body weight. Most CBD products will list their recommended dosage on the package, but recommendations can vary. A low yet still effective dose to start with is 0.2 mg of CBD per lb of body weight. So, a 50 lb dog would need 10 mg of CBD per day, for example. However, if you don’t notice any improvement after a few weeks, you can increase this gradually up to a maximum of 0.5 mg per lb of body weight.
For more on how much to give to your dog and when, check out our article, CBD Dosage For Dogs: How Much CBD Should I Give My Dog?
Is CBD safe for pets?
Yes, CBD is very safe for pets. There are no serious side-effects if you stick to the correct dosage, and even an overdose is unlikely to result in more than excessive drowsiness, an unsteady walk, and perhaps some vomiting. You must, however, make sure it contains no THC or a very small amount of THC (no more than 0.2 mg per 30 ml) since the psychoactive effects can feel confusing and unpleasant for pets.
Can I give my pet human CBD?
In theory, yes (with a few caveats), but in practice we’d highly recommend sticking to CBD that’s made specifically for pets. The problem with CBD products for humans is that they’re stronger than those designed for pets, so you’d need to be extremely careful with dosage, especially for a small pet. What’s more, they can contain ingredients that are unsafe or even toxic for pets, such as artificial sweeteners or alcohol. As such, if you must give a pet human CBD, first check the ingredient list thoroughly to ensure there’s nothing in it your pet shouldn’t consume.
How long does it take CBD to work?
When administering CBD to calm your pet and relieve anxiety, you should see results in as little as 30 to 60 minutes. However, for long term pain relief, it can take as long as 2 to 4 weeks for the full effects to show themselves.
Other CBD for Pets We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other CBD products for pets. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best CBD for pets list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
CBD Oil for Pets
This CBD oil has all the benefits of our top pick but has a lower strength that’s suitable for cats and small breed dogs under 20 lbs.
- Contains 150 mg CBD
- Organically grown
- Lab tested for purity
A low dosage CBD oil that’s designed specifically for cats with a flavor of the sea from algae oil.
- Includes omega 3, 6, and 9
- 150 mg CBD per 30 ml
- Highly bioavailable
No matter the size of your dog or required dosage, there’s an option here for you, with 150, 300, 600, and 1,000 mg strengths available.
- Peanut butter flavoring
- Uses broad spectrum CBD
- Vegan and cruelty free formula
Cost: $20 to $60
Quality THC CBD oil for pets in an olive oil carrier that’s available in 225 and 450 mg strengths.
- Premium grade, broad spectrum CBD
- Lab tested
- Made in the USA
Cost: $30 to $54
The 125 mg strength is ideal for cats. The broad spectrum CBD oil sits in a coconut oil carrier, which has a range of health benefits of its own.
- Made with organic hemp
- Veterinarian approved
- Test by a third party
A top notch mid-strength CBD oil that’s made using USDA certified organic full spectrum hemp grown in the USA.
- 300 mg CBD per bottle
- Olive oil carrier
This tincture is designed for pets up to 40 lbs and is great for joint health due to the high fatty acid content of the carrier oil.
- Made with natural, organic ingredients
- Suitable for all kinds of small pets
- Contains 16 mg per dose
CBD Pet Treats
Tasty soft peanut butter flavor chews that are highly palatable to most dogs and contain 5 mg of CBD per treat with roughly 35 treats per bag.
- Designed to calm and relax dogs
- Also contains prebiotics and probiotics for digestive support
- Vegan, gluten free recipe
If your dog’s suffering from stiff joints or arthritis, she may benefit from these CBD treats specially formulated for dogs with hip and joint troubles.
- 30 chews per pack
- 5 mg hemp extract per treat with at least 2.5 mg of cannabinoids
- Also contains glucosamine and chondroitin
Soft, chewy CBD dog treats in a tasty pizza flavor with the option of 2 or 5 mg strengths per treat.
- Made with USDA organic hemp grown in Colorado
- Full spectrum hemp oil
- Grain free
Cost: $10 to $29
For dogs who prefer crunchy treats to soft chews, these are a great choice. They’re available in 1.5 mg dosage for small dogs and 3 mg dosage for medium and large dogs.
- Two flavor options
- Smaller trial size available
- Made with human grade ingredients
Topical CBD for Pets
Designed to help heal all kinds of skin irritation, this moisturizing foam for cats contains 100 mg of CBD in the full bottle.
- No-sting formula
- Cruelty free
- Patented skin delivery system for increased absorption
Though it works particularly well for dry, cracked, or sunburned noses and pads, you can use this salve on any kind of skin irritation.
- Broad spectrum CBD
- Excellent absorption
- Contains 100 mg of CBD
This product is much the same as the cat moisturizing foam we featured above, but this one is tailored for dogs.
- 100 mg CBD in 118 ml
- Immediate relief for skin irritation
With CBD extract, oatmeal, and aloe vera, this shampoo is excellent at calming irritated and inflamed skin from allergies and other issues.
- Suitable for use on dogs and cats
- Nano particles for longer topical retention alongside excellent absorption
- 250 mg broad spectrum CBD per bottle
This plant-based topical cream is great for skin irritation, inflammation, insect bites, and more, containing 31 mg of full spectrum CBD.
- Made using USDA certified organic hemp
- Gentle and moisturizing
- Uses a proprietary strain
Other CBD for Pets
Thanks to the proprietary water soluble nano broad spectrum complex CBD contained in this product, it’s easily absorbed and highly bioavailable.
- Add to water so your pet consumes it gradually through the day
- 300 mg CBD in a 60 ml bottle
- Suitable for dogs and cats
For error-free dosing choose these CBD capsules with a low strength that’s perfectly suited to cats or very small dogs.
- 2.5 mg CBD per capsule
- Pack of 30 capsules
- Also high in vitamins D and E
Love your dogs but hate their bad breath? This spray is designed to improve oral hygiene and fight the causes of bad breath in dogs.
- Contains 250 mg broad spectrum CBD
- Reduces plaque and tartar without brushing
- Fights bacteria in the mouth
This bundle of goodies includes CBD treats, CBD oil, and a Charlotte’s Web bandanna for your dog, plus it helps support Freedom Service Dogs of America.
- Treats for hip and joint health
- Chicken flavored CBD oil
- 5% of all sales goes to Freedom Service Dogs of America