What is it about a cat in a costume that’s absolutely irresistible? Any cat owner knows their feline friends have a certain sophistication, but when that sophistication meets a cape or cap, it becomes adorable hilarity. Whether you’re entering a costume contest with your cat or just want a festive outfit for the holidays, there’s a cat costume to fit the occasion.
We reviewed dozens of cat costumes to find the best the market has to offer, from frilly and pink to devilishly handsome. We looked for costumes that come in different sizes and that are made of materials that will hold up to a claw or two. We also wanted to represent a range of options since Halloween isn’t the only time you might want to dress up your cat.
If you want to play on your cat’s bigger than life personality, the OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume makes perfect sense. This simple costume looks adorably cute. It’s perfect for Halloween, family pictures, or a zoo-themed party at your house.
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Costumes
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cat Costume Overall: OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume
Domestic cats have many of the same instincts of their wild cousins, and the OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume lets your cat’s wild side come out to play. This costume features a full, bushy mane with lionesque ears. The dappled color hearkens to a true lion’s coloring but looks good with any fur color.
It covers a considerable portion of the wearers head and neck, but the light, breathable fabric should keep your cat from overheating. It’s snug enough to stay in place, but lose enough that it shouldn’t restrict movement or the ability to eat or groom. We liked the fullness of this mane. Some lion’s manes mat and wear down, but the fluff and fullness of OMG’s model make it truly worthy of a regal cat.
OMG Adorables Lion Mane Costume Key Features:
- Pull-over entry
- Full, bushy faux mane
- Lion ears
- Breathable, polyester/cotton blend fabric
Best Halloween Cat Costume: Puoyis Cat Bat Wings
The Puoyis Cat Bat Wings are a simple costume that gives your cat the look of another nocturnal predator. The wings strap on with a Velcro closure. The wings fit in the same area as your cat’s collar, so he’s unlikely to object to wearing it. The wings themselves are made of felt, which gives them some body, so they stand out from your cat. They’re lightweight enough that your pet may not even notice they’re there. And, he’ll look like he’s ready to take flight and hunt for his next catch.
You can adjust the fit using the Velcro closure. However, this costume comes in only one size. Measure around your cat’s neck to make sure he falls within the 9 to 14-inch range. If you’re fitting a kitten or an unusually large cat, you might have to look for a costume that comes in multiple sizes.
Puoyis Cat Bat Wings Key Features:
- Velcro closure
- Felt wings
- Fits 9 to 14-inch neck circumference
Best Budget Cat Costume: Kitan Club Cat Cap
Whether you have multiple cats or simply want options, the Kitan Club Cat Cap gives you six rabbit ear beanies. You can change the color of the ears based on the occasion, your cat’s color, or both of your moods. We like that this set comes with enough ears for more than one cat. You can coordinate your cats for a themed family costume bonanza.
Fit can make all the difference in the success of dressing up your cat. These caps are designed to fit heads with an 11 to 11.5-inch circumference. There’s plenty of give and stretch to the polyester fabric and strap, so your cat doesn’t feel restricted, but it might take time for him to get used to it. But, before long, you’ll have a feline bunny bounding around your home.
Kitan Club Cat Cap Key Features:
- Includes six (6) rabbit ear beanies
- Stretch polyester fabric
- Fits head circumference of 11 to 11.5 inches
Best Cute Cat Costume: Coolrunner Pet Sunglasses
Some cats don’t need fancy costumes to stand out from a crowd. The Coolrunner Pet Sunglasses are meant for the coolest cat on the block. They’re simple and easy to put on. Once your cat gets used to them, his natural attitude and confidence will come shining through. The arms of the glasses are spring-loaded for a snug adjustable fit that holds them in place.
We love that these sunglasses stand as a costume on their own, or they can add a distinct edge to another costume. Are you dressing your cat like a princess? Make her a princess with attitude. Is a lion’s mane last year’s costume? Add the glasses, and suddenly, he’s a lion no one wants to mess with. They come in four different lens colors, but you’ll have to wait until they arrive for the color reveal.
Coolrunner Pet Sunglasses Key Features:
- Dimensions: 3.15-inch width, 1.18-inch diameter
- Lenses made of AC resin
- Spring-loaded arms
Best Christmas Cat Costume: PETLESCO Cat Santa Hat with Scarf
The holidays bring all kinds of new excitement for your cat. Ornaments, wreaths, and other decorations may add playful distractions to his everyday activities. However, the PETLESCO Cat Santa Hat and Scarf let your cat become part of the decorations and get her ready for a debut in any of your family’s holiday-themed photos and cards.
Cats are all about comfort, and the soft fleece fabric of the hat and scarf will definitely meet your cat’s high standards. The hat fits a head circumference of 13.4 to 15.7 inches while the scarf fits a neck that’s anywhere near 11 inches. They have magic tape closures, which lets you adjust both the scarf and hat strap to fit your pet snuggly but comfortably.
PETLESCO Cat Santa Hat with Scarf Key Features:
- Hat and scarf included
- Fits 13.4 to 15.7-inch head circumference and approximately 11-inch neck circumference
- Soft fleece material
Who Should Buy a Cat Costume
Do you own a cat? Then you should probably buy a cat costume. Truth be told, cat costumes may not be for every cat owner and definitely not every cat. But, they’re a fun way to dote on your pet and get a good laugh from his adorable appearance. Cat costumes can be a fun addition to family photos, themed parties, and holidays. If you want your cat to be part of a large event like a wedding or birthday, you can find a costume to go along with the theme or dress him or her like the prince or princess they are.
However, cat costumes aren’t for every cat. Some models fit around your cat’s neck, near where their collar rests. These costumes are best for cats that don’t like their ears or heads touched. For those that are more tolerant, there are fun caps, collars, headbands, and hoods that instantly transform your pet.
Important Features to Consider
A cat costume should fit your intended purpose or theme, but it will need to meet a number of other criteria too. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cat costume:
- Size. Cats vary in size, and some costumes come in several sizes as they’re intended for both cats and small dogs. However, others are one size fits all, which may or may not work for your cat. Make sure to read the fit instructions to know where and how to measure. Then, double check your measurements to be sure you order a costume in the right size. You might have to add to your cat’s measurements based on the length and thickness of his fur.
- Fabric. Stiff fabrics that don’t move with your cat are likely to be met with an unhappy wearer. Cotton and cotton/polyester blends are a good bet most of the time. Those with a bit of stretch will fit your cat better and allow him to more easily go about his normal activities.
- Theme, holiday, and purpose. What kind of costume are you looking for? Halloween, Christmas, cute, funny, quirky? If you have an idea of what you’re looking for, you’ll save yourself some time searching. Think about the fact that Halloween costumes don’t have to be witches or pumpkins. You can buy a costume that pulls double duty and can be useful in multiple seasons. Then again, cat costumes are inexpensive, and it can be fun to have a few different options for various occasions. A fancy gown or bowtie for weddings, bat wings for Halloween, and a Santa hat for the holidays can make for some incredibly fun photos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it bad to put clothes on cats?
It’s not bad to put clothes on your cat. However, if after trying repeatedly and meeting serious resistance, you might want to rethink your costuming ideas. Most cats aren’t going to like clothes the first time they wear them. However, it’s like everything—wearing a collar or crating— once your cat gets used to it, it’s not a big deal. So, it’s not bad or cruel to put your cat in clothes as long as you’re willing to listen to your cat’s cues.
Why do cats freeze when you put clothes on them?
Clothing restricts a cat’s normal movement and may disorient them for a time. Falling down or freezing is a natural survival instinct to try to stop or remove a threat. Give your cat time to adjust, and the behavior is likely to stop. It could also indicate that the clothing doesn’t fit. If, after letting your cat adjust to how the clothes feel he still falls over, you may need to get a different size or try a different type of fabric. If there’s a headpiece, make sure his whiskers aren’t trapped in the strap as that can prolong his disorientation.
What size costume does my cat need?
The size of clothes your cat needs depends on how big or small your cat is. Measure around your cat’s neck, head, and stomach. These are the measurements most often used to size for cat costumes. Compare your measurements to the manufacturer’s sizing chart. Look for costumes with adjustable straps and closures so you can make a snug but comfortable fit for your cat.
How do I get my cat to wear a costume?
Helping your cat adjust to a costume is a gradual process. It may take time if your cat has never worn a costume before. If the costume straps around his neck, he may not even notice a difference if it’s similar to his collar. Give your cat a treat before putting on more elaborate costumes. He may hiss, scratch, or run away at first. Don’t leave the costume on for long. Take it off and try again later until he doesn’t protest.
If you’ve got a multi-piece costume into which your cat will need to put his legs through holes, wear a cap, and a cape, try the simplest piece first. Once he’s used to that, add another piece. Give him time to adjust, and start with the understanding that your cat may not be willing to wear a costume. You don’t want to force it because it can be miserable for everyone involved, both human and feline.
Other Cat Costumes We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cat costumes in our search for the best of the best. While these costumes didn’t make our 5 best cat costumes list, they’re still adorable and hilarious. They could be perfect for your special event or family photo. We’ve included the information you need to compare costumes until you find the right one for your favorite feline.
Halloween Cat Costumes
You’ll giggle, and your cat will look adorable in a costume that’s ready to walk the plank.
- Four (4) sizes: S, M, L, XL
- Fits necks between 11.8 and 21. 3 inches
- Polyester fabric
There’s nothing more classic than a witch (or wizard) on Halloween.
- Two (2) sizes: small/medium and medium
- Small fits necks between 11 to 14 inches
- Medium fits necks between 16 to 20 inches
For the devilishly clever cat, this cape makes the perfect Halloween disguise.
- Velcro cape closure
- Adjustable elastic headband
- Satin cape fabric
A naturally disgruntled face looks perfect in a cowboy uniform. Your cat will be ready to take on anyone as the life, and sheriff, of the party.
- Polyester fabric
- Four sizes: XS, S, M, L
- Sizes accommodate neck circumferences between 11 and 16 inches
Cute Cat Costumes
This fun costume works for the cat that doesn’t want anything around his ears or strapped to his chest. Plus, what cat wouldn’t eat their way through a slice of bread?
- Six(6) sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL
- Sizes fit head circumferences between 8 to 11.4 inches
- Made of velvet over a foam core
Make your cat a magical, mythical creature that livens your next costume party.
- Fits a neck circumference between 8.66 and 11.81 inches
- Made of fleece and oxford fabric
- Adjustable closure
Unique and colorful—no one else’s cat will compare to yours when he’s got his tail feathers on display.
- One size fits neck 7.5 to 9.5 inches, chest 15 to 17 inches
- Velcro fasteners
- Comes with Bolbove keychain
A special occasion dress makes your cat the perfect addition to wedding parties and birthday celebrations.
- Three (3) sizes: S, M, L
- Two (2) color options
- Sizes fit a neck circumference from 8.66 to 11.8 inches
You can dress up a whole litter or give your cat plenty of options with this collection of fruit-inspired headwear.
- Six (6) fruit caps
- Fits head circumference between 11 to 11.5 inches
- Made of polyester
Dress your little princess for the occasion with a costume as sweet as your cat.
- Adjustable crown strap
- One size fits all collar
- Works for cats and small dogs
Is there a doctor in the house? There is now, and he’s dishing out treatments with a feline bedside manner.
- Four (4) sizes: XS, S, M, L
- Made of cotton
- Sizes fit necks between 9.4 and 14.2 inches
Ahoy! Your cat will look elegant and tailored in his own sailor costume.
- Made of cotton
- Adjustable hat fits 13 to 14-inch head circumference
- Adjustable tie collar fits a neck between 10 to 11 inches
This simple costume makes your cat part of the political debate.
- Elastic band attaches wig
- Velcro closure on collar
- Fits most average sized cats
A good sense of humor will take you both a long way. This costume works for that laid back cat that wouldn’t mind strumming a guitar at the beach.
- Four (4) sizes: S, M, L, XL
- Made of polyester
- Order according to chest measurement
Christmas Cat Costumes
Take the festivities to the next level with an extra elf on your shelf.
- Made of polyester
- Adjustable head strap with Velcro closure
- Elastic leg cuffs
Sometimes you need some festive options. This set lets you dress up more than one cat or switch your cat’s outfit for every holiday party.
- Three (3) pieces: scarf, hat, antlers
- Adjustable closures
- Made of polar fleece
Simple, fun, and festive—this cloak will work for fussy cats that don’t like fabric on their ears or head.
- Adjustable Velcro straps
- Two (2) sizes
- Small fits 9.84-inch neck; large fits 10.23-inch neck
Lion’s Mane Cat Costumes
Lion manes are popular with good reason. Every cat has a wild predator on the inside.
- Fits necks with a circumference between 10.24 and 11.8 inches
- Polyester and faux fur
- Loose fit
This streamlined mane works for cats that are too cool for a bushy costume.
- Generally fits animals up to 15 pounds
- Comes with a feathered catnip toy
- Velcro closure
You know your cat has the heart of a lion. With this costume, everyone else with know too.
- Faux fur and polyester
- Fits 10 to 11-inch neck circumference
- Dappled color for more realistic effect